EdgePetrol is a privately backed, pioneering SaaS software start-up providing real-time margins and usage analytics to the fuel retail industry.
The company offers a data driven web app to petrol retailers, allowing them to optimise their business operations to maximise returns. Having launched in September 2017, The platform is being used by a growing number of petrol retailers across the UK and more recently, in the USA too.
Our intelligent software solution delivers real-time data, analytics and insight. The client is bringing increased efficiency to how petrol retailers purchase and price fuel and operate their stations.
The client’s founders and board members have an extensive background, with knowledge and networks in upstream oil trading & downstream petrol retail. With an addressable market of 8,000petrol stations in the UK, over 120,000 in continental Europe and 150,000 in the USA, we have a huge potential for growth with an exciting go-to-market strategy.
Why this Role
Following a successful run in theUK and a fantastic launch in the USA this year, EdgePetrol is now ready to explode into the global market. Our product and technology teams are planning for globalisation and localisation which requires an experienced technology leader to deliver reliable, secure, highly scalable technology solutions to the business.
That is why Edge has created the new role of VP of Engineering to strengthen the team and drive the development of the product, service and infrastructure.Join a business with a hunger to succeed, where team members love to pull together to work towards agreed business objectives.
Whilst the office is in London and you will need to be available for Board level meetings, the position is offered as Remote, to reflect the distributed nature of the Engineering team. Reporting into our COO and working closely with our fellow VP’s, you will be focused on delivering the EdgePetrol SaaS product to our growing customer base. You will own the engineering and machine learning functions and will ensure quality, velocity and good communication with the business and its customers.
You will be the most senior person within Technology atEdgePetrol and as such will be relied upon to drive the Product evolution, whilst keeping board and peer level fully informed of progress, challenges and solutions.
Following a successful pilot launch in the USA and further aided by an exciting new strategic partnership, the business is now ready to launch into further territories. As VP Engineering you will have to meet the following challenges head on:
- Engineering Culture & Team growth - our engineering team is projected to grow from nine, to twenty+over the next 12 months. You will need to ensure the technology function within the business continues to deliver, whilst maintaining a great culture and team spirit
- Technical Debt – this will be key to a successful career. The business aims to ship new features on a regular basis, following anAgile Product Development methodology, but with one eye always on managing technical debt and ensuring that code base and Engineering best practice is maintained as priority one.
- Team Management – managing the Engineers on a day today basis, looking for further efficiencies and productivity gains within the team and managing capacity resourcing
- Product Evolution – working closely with the VP Product to maintain the product roadmap, internationalisation of the platform and its infrastructure, high availability and the provision of self-service tools and automation will be required to assist the product and service delivery teams to ensure a high level of service for on-boarding and ongoing customer support
- Security & Compliance –internationalisation will also require additional security and compliance foreach territory. Technology, process and standards will be aligned with the requirements for each territory, along with considerations to Data source andData security
- Have a passion for improving processes with tools, automation and working closely with COO and VP Product to ensure we implement and improve automation wherever possible within the business and execute the product roadmap
- Have an appreciation and understanding of business commercials, be a conduit between the Board and Engineering, using your business acumen to deliver within the parameters of the business
- Have a fundamental understanding of the business from a commercial sense, have a true understanding of what the business itself is looking to achieve and work closely with both the CEO and VP of Product to ensure a pragmatic use of technology and tooling to achieve your technical goals with an efficient use of resources
- Grow and create an Engineering culture that both considers and cares about business outcomes
- Have an understanding of market developments, best-practice and emerging technologies, privacy and regulatory changes and certification requirements
We are looking for a proven technical leader with strong business acumen and experience. As a senior technology specialist, you will have demonstrable experience with:
- Software Development experience, with an Engineering background
- Previous experience scaling teams, platforms and Products successfully
- Demonstrable experience leading a team of developers (up to 30),inspiring them to challenge norms and setting high standards for their work and the products that they deliver to the business
- Understanding development frameworks (platform built on Ruby onRails, React.js, GraphQL), AWS, with an understanding of the wider AWS product suite
- Developing scalable SaaS platforms that facilitate high transaction volumes, typically as part of a payment processing or large e-commerce platform.
- Understanding of micro services architectures and SOA.
- Experience with serverless architecture, use of Kafka and data pipelining services as well as Lambda functions to create powerful, progressive apps
- High availability platform design, including multi-region fail over and auto-scaling architecture
- Driving large projects through to completion, including stakeholder management and excellent communication skills at all levels of the business
- Working within Agile methodology, exposure to start-up or other dynamic environments
- Develop team structures and recruitment plans to ensure that the team is built to handle rapid growth &ensure on-boarding and training is first class
- Manage the team’s workload whilst finding ways to improve team process
- Be responsible for performance management and managing the development of the team
- Monitor production quality and uphold best practises for our product development
- Work with the engineering team to create measurable team goals and ensure that this is well communicated to all areas of the business
- Supervise and guide EdgePetrol’s software engineers in their role to design, build, unit test, analyse, optimise and maintain critical software components
- Managing the development of applications and solutions that leverage our data to generate new insights for our customers
- Developing and implementing engineering conventions and best practice
- The chance to build a product that will change a global industry
- Represent technology at the highest level in the business
- Competitive salary
- The chance to get skin in the game with equity via options (EMI Scheme)
- Flexible working
To apply for this role, please email email@example.com with your CV and your cover letter.